Wednesday, August 21, 2013

History Fascinates Me

Thanks to all who left me such encouraging feedback on my initial post!  One of those comments was made by the Weavers, long-time acquaintances from the time when both our families were serving in the ministry in Louisiana.  They knew a singing evangelist whose father had taught singing schools in Arkansas, in the same area that my parents live.  The singer's name is Reggie Payte. This information made me want to do some follow-up. I emailed my Daddy, Travis Watson, to see if he knew Reggie Payte.  And here is what I found:

He knows someone who knows Reggie Payte (isn't that how things are down south?) BUT he did know Reggie Payte's father Olin Payte! Olin Payte sang in the Hartford Quartet (out of Little Rock, AR) at the same time as Daddy's next older brother, Lloyd Watson.  Now Daddy is not exactly sure when it was that they sang together, but says it was either in the late 1940's or early 1950's. [That is close enough for me.  I love history, but am not a slave to exact dates. My theory is that you should be able to place important events in the correct decade.] I passed this information on to the Weaver's and to my cousin, Donna, the family historian and daughter of my Uncle Lloyd.  She was glad to know the name of the quartet, as she had given up trying to find it. Aren't I the helpful one?!

The history lover in me couldn't leave it there, so off I go to bing and search "Hartford Quartet, Little Rock, AR", not really expecting to find anything since I had never heard of this quartet.  I was excited to find it popped up very quickly. There was a blog that chronicles the history of gospel quartets (who knew?), so I click and go. 

I didn't learn anything new about my uncle or Olin Payte, but I did find out that Albert E. Brumley sang with the Hartford Quartet beginning in 1929. If that name sounds vaguely familiar to you, then you have probably sung "I'll Fly Away,"  "The Blood That Stained the Old Rugged Cross," or any one of his many other songs.  The blog called him "the most prolific white gospel songwriter."  I have a copy of a book of his songs.  It was compiled by his daughter, who had a resource table at the Arkansas State Singing Convention that I attended a few years ago.

What does all this have to do with my journey in song?  Wait for it.....
When I was in the 3rd grade at South Heights School, in Sapulpa, OK, I sang a fairly new song in the school talent show. It was the first time I remember singing anywhere other than church.  The name of the song was, "It's Bound to Be the Lord" by Albert E. Brumley. It was published in 1963 by the Stamps Baxter Music Co., in their Golden Harvest book.  It is a very happy memory for me.  I can still sing that song from memory, all 3 verses.  It was probably written for quartets or convention singing, but it is an excellent song for a children's choir.  I doubt that today's society would allow a child to sing a song about God and His creation in the public school talent show, but it is their loss.  I am happy that my school was not like that.

That little rabbit trail was not on my original map, but I am really glad I chased it down.  If anyone is interested in "The Best of Albert E. Brumley", please contact Albert E. Brumley and Sons, Powell, MO 65730.

Psalm 18:49  Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name. --KJV



No comments:

Post a Comment